How to Heal Skin After Fraxel Restore
Fraxel Restore is a popular laser treatment used to improve the appearance of various skin issues such as wrinkles, acne scars, sun damage, and age spots. While Fraxel Restore is a safe and effective procedure, it is important to take proper care of your skin after the treatment to ensure optimal healing and results. In this article, we will discuss some essential tips and FAQs to guide you in healing your skin after Fraxel Restore.
1. Follow your dermatologist’s instructions: Your dermatologist will provide you with specific post-treatment instructions tailored to your skin type and condition. It is crucial to follow these instructions carefully to promote healing and avoid complications.
2. Apply a soothing moisturizer: Your skin may feel dry and tight after Fraxel Restore. Applying a gentle, non-irritating moisturizer multiple times a day will help soothe and hydrate your skin.
3. Avoid direct sun exposure: Protect your treated skin from direct sun exposure for at least a week after the treatment. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher, and wear a wide-brimmed hat and protective clothing when outdoors.
4. Avoid harsh skincare products: For the first few days after treatment, avoid using any harsh skincare products, such as exfoliants, retinoids, or astringents. Stick to gentle cleansers and moisturizers recommended by your dermatologist.
5. Do not pick or scratch your skin: It is common for your skin to feel itchy or flaky during the healing process. However, resist the temptation to scratch or pick at your skin, as it can lead to infection, scarring, or prolonged healing.
6. Use cool compresses: If your skin feels hot or inflamed after the treatment, you can apply cool compresses to soothe the area. This will help reduce any discomfort or redness.
7. Avoid strenuous activities: While you can resume your daily activities after the treatment, it is recommended to avoid strenuous exercises or activities that cause excessive sweating for a few days. Sweating can irritate the treated skin and hinder the healing process.
8. Stay hydrated: Drinking an adequate amount of water will help keep your skin hydrated from within and promote faster healing.
9. Be patient: It takes time for the full benefits of Fraxel Restore to become apparent. Your skin may initially appear red or slightly swollen, but this should subside within a few days. It may take several weeks to see the full results of the treatment.
10. Attend follow-up appointments: Your dermatologist may schedule follow-up appointments to monitor your progress and address any concerns. It is important to attend these appointments and communicate any issues you may be experiencing.
11. Maintain a good skincare routine: Once your skin has fully healed, continue to take care of it with a regular skincare routine. This may include cleansing, moisturizing, and applying sunscreen daily to protect your skin from further damage.
1. How long does it take for the skin to heal after Fraxel Restore?
The healing time can vary from person to person, but typically it takes about 5-7 days for the skin to fully heal.
2. Can I wear makeup after Fraxel Restore?
It is best to avoid wearing makeup for at least 24 hours after the treatment to allow your skin to breathe and heal. After that, you can usually resume wearing makeup.
3. Will my skin peel after Fraxel Restore?
Yes, some peeling or flaking of the skin is normal after Fraxel Restore. This is a part of the natural healing process and should subside within a few days.
4. Can I exercise after Fraxel Restore?
You can resume your daily activities after the treatment, but it is recommended to avoid strenuous exercises or activities that cause excessive sweating for a few days.
5. Can Fraxel Restore remove all my acne scars?
Fraxel Restore can significantly improve the appearance of acne scars, but complete removal may require multiple treatments depending on the severity of the scars.
6. Is Fraxel Restore painful?
Most patients experience some level of discomfort during the treatment, but a topical numbing cream is applied before the procedure to minimize any pain. After the treatment, you may feel a sunburn-like sensation for a few hours.
7. Can I go out in the sun after Fraxel Restore?
Direct sun exposure should be avoided for at least a week after the treatment. If you need to be outside, apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen and wear protective clothing.
8. Can Fraxel Restore be performed on all skin types?
Fraxel Restore is suitable for most skin types, but it is important to consult with a dermatologist to determine if it is the right treatment for you.
9. How many Fraxel Restore treatments do I need?
The number of treatments required depends on your skin concerns and goals. Typically, a series of 3-5 sessions is recommended, spaced about 4-6 weeks apart.
10. Are there any side effects of Fraxel Restore?
Common side effects include redness, swelling, and mild discomfort, which usually subside within a few days. Rarely, there may be more severe side effects such as blistering or infection.
11. Can I undergo Fraxel Restore if I have a tan?
It is recommended to avoid tanning before the treatment, as it can increase the risk of complications and uneven results. It is best to consult with your dermatologist regarding your specific situation.